POSTER & PAPER PRESENTATION COMPETITIONS
2023 Poster Competition Winners
The team led by Isabel Kacprowski for the poster titled “Vertical Removal of Brevetoxins in Southwest Florida Coastal Waters” from Florida Gulf Coast University is awarded first place.
The team led by Dylan Gresch for the poster titled “Quantification of Human Waste in Surface Waters Affected by Septic Systems, Jupiter Farms, Florida” from Jupiter Academy is awarded as the runner-up.
The team led by Rebecca Ryan for the poster titled “Nutrients in Utah Lake Behave as a Buffered System: Suspended Sediments and Sorption Impacts on Water Column Phosphate Concentrations” from Brigham Young University is awarded first place.
The team led by William Taylor for the poster titled “Assessing the value of forecast-informed reservoir operations for California water supply “ from University of California-Davis is awarded as the runner-up.
2023 Paper Competition Winners
Nathan Hewitt, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL – “Using Remote Sensing and Spatial Data Analysis to Quantify Impact of Hurricane Ian Storm Surge on Sediment Buildup and Shoreline Changes on Southwest Florida Barrier Islands.”
Haylie Fine, Jupiter High School (JERFSA), Jupiter, FL – “Difference in Part-Time Versus Permanent Residents’ Beliefs Regarding Willingness to Participate in Remediation of a Local Body of Water.”
Jacob Taggart, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT - "Development of a Micro-Fractionation Method for Studying Phosphorus Bound to Suspended Sediments"
Layla El-Khoury, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC - "Estimating Nutrient Loads to Falls Lake from Streambank Erosion."
Students who are full-time are invited to participate in a poster and/or paper (oral) presentation competition during the AWRA 2023 Annual Water Resources Conference. These competitions are separate from other awards and scholarship programs of AWRA.
- Technical and Student Posters can begin set up on Sunday, November 5 at 5:00 PM.
- The Poster Competition will take place during the Opening Reception in the exhibitor area on Monday, November 6.
- The Paper (oral) Competition takes place during scheduled session presentation times throughout the conference.
- Download the Poster Instructions here or in the Presenter | Moderator | Exhibitor (PME) Resources page.
- Download the poster competition flyer.
Who Can Present
Full-time students in undergraduate and graduate (masters and Ph.D. levels) programs are encouraged to present posters and/or papers describing their research. Posters and papers can describe collaborative research carried out by multiple authors (including non-students) but must be presented by a student.
Participation in the competitions is optional; however; a full-conference student registration rate is required. Participation is not available to students who do not register.
Poster Competition Participation
- Poster abstracts may be submitted anytime through September 12, 2023.
- Early decision deadline is June 16, 2023 with a guaranteed response by June 30.
- Reference this scoring rubric to see the criteria on which you will be judged.
- Two awards will be presented at the conference luncheon on Wednesday, November 8 for Best Poster and Runner-up Poster. Recognition will also be made on the AWRA website, in various publications, and through special promotions.
Participation Recognition - Paper (oral) Competition
Reference this scoring rubric to see the criteria on which you will be judged.
Two awards will be presented at the conference luncheon on Wednesday, November 8 for Best Paper Presentation and Runner-up Paper Presentation. Recognition will also be made on the AWRA website, in various publications, and through special promotions.